Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Photo-less and Feeling Flat

Is it possible for people who seem to start out crafty and unique to just wake up one morning and all of a sudden stop being creative? I only ask because I feel like I am in a creativity funk. I am truely dissapointed in how I look and feel on the web. My photos are crappy (I need a new camera so badly). My post are written quickly and don't have a lot of substance and I am really not doing creative things on a daily basis which is the true inspiration for some of the best blogs I read.To me, these are all things that creative people just do naturally.They just get up in the morning and start making things around them more beautiful and different. I have also been reading some fantastic blogs lately (weaver, yummy, juicy - you are all daily reads) and I am feeling that I no longer fit on the same creative level which bums me out.

Yes, sure I am a graphic designer and have created some commercial pieces that my clients were really happy with but how creative does that make me? A LOGO, brochure, stationary, note card? a lot of folks can do that very same thing (no big whip). Just browsing through Etsy brings talent to my eyes that overwhelms me. It is a constant reminder of how the envelope can always be pushed. So why don't I jump in and keep pushing? I don't know. I can't figure it out. I feel like right now I need to sit in the passenger seat rather than drive the vehicle myself. Perhaps it that I have taken on a full time non-creative job. Probably not the best decision but I need the stability of a full time schedule both for me and my son and the bills must get paid - right? Oh, I am sure I will grow out of these thoughts but I wanted to write something here so other people know that I know that this blog could be a lot better.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are many slumps I have incurred, I can remember a couple blog posts about it. You are doing the right thing. Stopping. Take a break (well, could you squeeze my business cards in?). Writing about it always helped me. In fact, this blogtoberfest post per day, has really helped. Maybe if Santa brings you a new camera you will be rejuvenated! Hang in there, you are very creative, sometimes we just need that creativeness to stew like a perfect soup.

goodwolve said...

Oh I hear you! Great blog - you are officially added to my Reader!